EECS 203 Mailing List
Compensating for final exam situation

From: Robert Dick <dickrp_at_avoiding.spam>
Date: Tue Jun 10 2008 - 15:52:27 CDT

I have tried to find a way to fix the problem with the final exam in a way
that is minimally-annoying to the students and also as fair as possible. We
are very sorry about the problem and are trying our best to make it right.

If you were able to stay for the full two hours, you are done. This mess
doesn't impact you. Study for your next exam or go to the beach.

If you needed to leave before 11:20, you get to choose from among four
options.

1) Count whatever score you received on the final taken today.

2) Take a new final exam tomorrow and have that score counted. I will
normalize the scores from the two exams based on the means in order to
compensate for any difference in difficulty. You will need to arrange a time
to take the exam with Neal.

3) Have the final exam score nullified, i.e., increase the weight of the
midterm exam to 50% instead of 20%.

4) Receive "no final exam" score in the class and take the final exam in a
future offering of the course. This option puts you at risk because it
requires the consent of the instructor who gives the course the next time.
There is no guarantee of this last option working.

If you needed to leave before 11:20, please email Neal and me to indicate
which option you choose.

Thanks, and sorry about the mess.

-Robert Dick-