EECS 303 Mailing List
Re: Testing slides

From: Robert Dick <dickrp_at_avoiding.spam>
Date: Wed Dec 10 2008 - 19:31:21 EST

Anitha Mohan:
> Dear Professor,
>
> Do we have to cover sequential testing and design/ synthesis for
> testability or do we have to cover only combinational testing for the
> final?

Sequential testing should be understood to the following extent. You should
understand the implications of unrolling a sequential circuit in time in
order to use combinational test generation for the sequential circuit. The
lecture notes have a couple of slides on this that should make the concept
clear (see Iterative array expansion). If you have any questions on that,
please ask. The idea is to copy the circuit for as many cycles as the
longest path in the finite state machine and feed the next-state variables
directly into the state variable lines of the subsequent copy. Then
combinational test generation can be used on the unrolled circuit to generate
a test for the sequential circuit. I will not ask questions directly on
sequential test generation. However, understanding the concept will help you
understand what finite state machines are, which will help you in other areas
of life.

We did not cover scan-flops, 9-value logic, or design for testability and I do
not expect you to learn those from the lecture notes.

-Robert Dick-