EECS 203 Mailing List
Modifications to EECS 203

From: Robert Dick <dickrp_at_avoiding.spam>
Date: Thu May 22 2008 - 09:30:58 CDT

EECS 203 serves two purposes. First, it is supposed to provide future
computer geeks with fundamental knowledge about digital system design that
they can build on in the future. Second, it is supposed to provide an
introduction to Computer Engineering to students that might potentially
interest students who have not yet chosen majors. These goals are sometimes
in conflict. I try to achieve both but I know there is room for improvement.
I hate the concept of watering down a course. However, I realize that
sometimes a lab or homework assignment can take less time and teach as much.
If, looking back, there were examples of things that took a lot of time but
didn't teach much, please tell me about them. If you have suggestions on
making the course better, please write me an email now. You can send it now,
or after the course, whichever you prefer.

Here are some areas that might potentially be changed (to get you started
thinking).

1) Dropping or adding topics.

2) Dropping or adding labs.

3) Moving Tuesday's session to CG30 and expecting students to work on homework
and labs during the session, helping each other and with the TA available for
questions.

4) Dropping something and spending more time on computer geek culture (which
was covered briefly and stealthily in class, i.e., available to those who
wanted it but not taking time from those who didn't care).

5) Dropping something and spending more time on cutting-edge technology
trends.

Thanks,

-Robert Dick-