EECS 303 Mailing List
Re: AFSM

From: Robert Dick <dickrp_at_avoiding.spam>
Date: Tue Dec 02 2008 - 20:25:37 EST

Yu, Ren Chung:
> Hi,
>
> In the D flip flop example we did in class, and also the example in the
> lecture notes (Packet 13 page 35)
> (http://ziyang.eecs.northwestern.edu/~dickrp/eecs303/lectures/adld-l13.pdf)
>, is there a reason we jumped straight to the (unsimplified) AFSM instead of
> going through regular expression, NFA, and DFA? Wouldn't that make the
> problem easier? I'm not sure of (how to use) the process of going straight
> into the ASFM. Did we just skip those steps in the examples?

I didn't think the machine was complex enough to benefit from using regular
expressions but your example proves that using regular expressions as a
starting point is straight-forward and works correctly. To others: He used a
regular expression with four symbols instead of just 0 and 1. l'm', l'm,
lm', and lm. Converting to an NFA, DFA, and AFSM was quite natural. It had
three states. The machine right after the example in the slides was not
related to the AFSM. It was just a review of minimization.

Best Regards,

-Robert Dick-