EECS 203 Mailing List
Re: Modifications to EECS 203

From: Maureen Gilmour <maureengilmour2007_at_avoiding.spam>
Date: Thu May 22 2008 - 15:28:17 CDT

I'm not sure which of the labs should be cut...I am tempted to say the
programming parts of the labs, but just because I don't like programming,
that doesn't mean other people can't learn a great deal from it. I
personally don't feel that I learn much from programming, because I spend
too much time trying to figure out the language and the way it's supposed to
all work together. But that's not true of everyone, so it wouldn't be fair
to the other students to cut programming out completely.

I think instead of cutting a lab completely, the labs should be condensed to
cover the basics, but have optional parts to do more with the breadboards
and possibly gain extra credit. This would not punish anyone, but it would
allow those who are very interested in going into an in-depth lab and
spending 10 hours planning and wiring would be rewarded for their extra
work. It would also still ensure that everyone gets the basic concepts, but
not obliterate the idea of teaching more than just the logic behind
computers to those students who really plan to go into the field, and want
to learn.

I hope my suggestions are helpful. Thank you for taking them into
considerations.

--Maureen