EECS 303 Mailing List
Lab 3 timing

From: Ben Schnur <b-schnur_at_avoiding.spam>
Date: Wed Nov 12 2008 - 19:35:45 EST

Hello again, everyone.

I was pondering the lab handout's description of the timing of the FSM
and ran into the following issue:

If we don't raise H (data hold) a cycle before the data is driven (but
rather, raise it when we start to drive the data) , it might be read
as zero at the start of driving the data (not stable yet) causing the
data to be driven for only one cycle.

However, if we raise it a cycle before the data starts to be driven,
the address values are not yet valid because the driving of those has
not yet finished. That implies that we would not be able to use any
address bits to determine next state / output when we raise H.

Am I misunderstanding something here? It seems as if we need a cycle
between the address-driving cycle and the first data-driving cycle in
order for H to be (a) computed using address bits and (b) stable in
time to be read as high when the data-driving cycle starts.

Of course, the handout says that there is no such intermediate cycle.

Any thoughts?

--
Ben Schnur
Northwestern University 2010